We know cycling is seen as mostly a white male sport, and Westside Cycle Club isn’t any different. Most of our members are white, male and a bit older (some of us just haven’t accepted it yet), but we are looking to change that.
Westside wants to increase the numbers of people riding bikes. We want more kids, teenagers, women, mums, dads and even old white males out riding bikes.
To this end, we have run and/or helped fund the following:
- Westside was started with policy of anyone on a bike is our friend regardless of gender, age, religion or ability. Everyone is welcome.
- Along with Maribyrnong Council, Westside has run a number of social ride programs to help build confidence for those who want to ride in groups and to help build confidence riding
- Utilising the incredible work of Wheel Women we have funded a program for school aged girls to learn mountain biking skills. We aim to repeat this
- Hosted Parent and Children’s rides
- Along with Bikewest, advocated for cycling to be included as a school sport and help introduce a pilot MTB course into high school syllabus.
- We have funded for several of our members to attend AusCycling accredited Junior Training courses to run our junior skills programs at Rockbank and Quarry Park
- Westside is hosting the final round of the Vic Schools MTB Series in February 2023